21 July 2014

Dunfermline - "let there be light"*

On WEDNESDAY, JULY 16th a small group of us ventured to Dunfermline on an optional day trip to visit Andrew Carnegie's birthplace and the site of the first Carnegie Library. I have to say that this is the first time I've ever visited an empty library, but it was neat nonetheless. Why was it empty, you ask? (Well, maybe you didn't, but I'll tell you anyway!) The library is currently undergoing renovations to become a "hub" - a concept we've learned about in the UK. Essentially, a hub is a building that serves multiple purposes, i.e., a community center. By housing libraries in these facilities, they are in a better position to provide library services, save on operating costs and make it a type of "one stop shopping" experience. In the case of Dunfermline, the goal is to continue to provide library services, while also creating a museum and cultural experience. The library building will be connected to another building nearby and the two will function as the hub. According to projections, it will open in 2016. 


Our visit to the library coincided with the end of the move out phase. As we walked up to the library, we saw movers loading crates into a moving truck (lorry?). While some might think it disappointing to see an empty library, the historian in me really loved it because I could see the building (almost) in its original glory, not obscured by modern accoutrements (how's that for a word choice Auntie?). 




During the transition phase, library services are spread out amongst four buildings across town. We arrived at one of these, St. Margaret's House, to begin our tour a little early and I had the opportunity to visit with one of the librarians for a bit. This wonderful librarian also happened to be an officer in the Jane Austen Society UK (and the first Scottish officer!) and I had a great time discussing all things Austen and Persuasion with her. She gave me some great insights for my paper. 




After the tour of the library, we made a quick stop to see Andrew Carnegie's birthplace before heading back to the bus station. A few classmates decided to stay in Dunfermline a little longer, but two of us decided to return to Edinburgh with our professors (a wise choice in my opinion as it started pouring rain shortly after boarding the bus!). On our way back to the dorms we decided to stop at the Hard Rock Cafe, which I'd never been to before, anywhere. I had the most delicious fresh vegetable sandwich. When the server brought it to me, he said that I'd ordered the best thing on the menu. At first, I thought it was a line, but after tasting it, I think he meant it. At least five times on this trip I've been told that whatever I've ordered was a great choice. Maybe I have a knack for reading the menu?! Honestly, all I try to do is pick something I recognize, and if possible, something vegetarian (the meat dishes are usually too "heavy" or too much food and they don't do "to go" boxes here. I've really loved sandwiches here - they come up with some fascinating combinations. 




*"Let there by light" is inscribed on many Carnegie libraries at the entrance. I think it's fitting, given a library's purpose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment